Preparing a Pre-Schooler - Age: 3-5 years
Fears: separation, abandonment and immobility.
- Begin talking to your child 3-4 days before his or her medical procedure or hospitalization.
- Provide explanations for what he/she will see, hear, taste, smell or have to do. Children at this age do not know what to expect, so they frequently use their imaginations.
- Use simple words when explaining what will happen/what he or she will have to do.
- Clear up misconceptions related to illness as punishment.
- Provide opportunities for questions.
- Read books (Book Resources for Parents) about going to Cardinal Glennon.
- Use doctor kits to help your child explore equipment they might see when they arrive.
For more helpful information, click on the following links:
What Happens When You Go For Your Test
Back to Child Life Services