Welcome to the Missouri Poison Center at
SSM Cardinal Glennon Children's Medical Center
Watch a video about the Missouri Poison Center!
The Missouri Poison Center provides a statewide service free of charge to the public and health care professionals and is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
The center is staffed by pharmacists and nurses who are certified poison information specialists. The specialists work under the direction of physicians who are board certified in toxicology. They provide a valuable service to people of all ages throughout Missouri.
Since its inception in 1974, the Missouri Poison Center has handled more than 2 million cases. The vast majority of these cases are managed over the phone in the home, avoiding costly unnecessary emergency department visits. The Center is funded by Cardinal Glennon, the Missouri Hospital Association, federally funded grants, industry contracts and private contributions.
Getting to Know Us
- Certified by the American Association of Poison Control Centers as the Regional Poison Center for the state of Missouri
- Handle more than 190,000 cases each year
- Offer follow-up calls with every case to ensure proper care and reassurance for your child and family
- Offer educational programs and materials for Missouri's parents and children
- Provide poison information - second only to vaccinations in reducing health care costs
To contact the Missouri Poison Center, please call 1-800-222-1222.
Meet the Team
Anthony Scalzo, MD, Medical Director
Rebecca Tominack, MD, Assistant Director
Julie Weber, RPh, CSPI, Director
Peggy Kinamore, RN, CSPI, Public Education Coordinator
Back to Missouri Poison Center homepage