Volunteer positions are identified by SSM Cardinal Glennon departments based on the needs in respective areas.
Direct patient care opportunities can include visiting in patient rooms, interacting in play or activity areas, reading books and transporting patients. Other areas where volunteers contribute to the overall SSM experience can include the gift shop, reception desk, mail room, library, storeroom and waiting rooms.
We welcome volunteers from various institutions and volunteers of all ages over 17. Please check the application timeline and other requirements listed below to find the best volunteer opportunity for you.
- Adult volunteers are 18 or older
- They are asked to make a commitment to volunteer for one year, at least once a week for three hours or longer.
- Please fill out an application, if you're interested in volunteering.
High school students and service projects
- High school students must be 17 years old at the time of service to be eligible to apply.
- In order to provide students with optimal service experience, we limit enrollment to two (2) students per high school.
- Every effort is made to offer placement in areas where student volunteers can experience interaction with patients and families.
- Applications are reviewed as received; students who apply early in the process receive priority.
- Students must attend an informational meeting and a mandatory New Volunteer Orientation.
- Students are notified of acceptance into the SSM Cardinal Glennon Service Project Program, and then are invited to the information session and orientation after the application period ends.
- Students must be available to volunteer weekdays from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. and provide a minimum of 50 hours of service during their service project period. Evening and weekend hours are not available for the completion of service projects.
- Continuation of volunteer service after the completion of the service project is contingent on student performance, merit and volunteer positions available.
- The application timeline for the 2014 high school Service Project Program is as follows:
|Service project period
|Orientation date |
||Oct. 1 - Nov. 14
||Jan. 5 - Feb. 13
College student volunteers
- A limited number of volunteer positions are available to college students for the academic school year (September – May). Priority is given to those who can be available on a regular, weekly basis for at least a 3-hour shift during the academic school year.
- College volunteers are expected to provide a minimum of 75 hours of service during the academic year. Interviews and attendance at an informational meeting are required prior to inclusion in the mandatory New Volunteer Orientation.
- The application timeline for the 2013-2014 academic year is as follows:
|Orientation date |
|Sep. 2014 - May 2015
||Aug. 4 - Sep. 5
- SSM Cardinal Glennon is no longer accepting volunteer applications for Summer 2014.
- Interviews and attendance at the summer informational meeting are required prior to acceptance into the mandatory New Volunteer Orientation.
- There are limited opportunities available and volunteers who have availability on workdays from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. will get priority.
- Summer student volunteers must provide a minimum of 50 hours of service over the summer.
- Volunteers must be 17 years old at the time of service to be eligible.
|Summer service period
|Orientation date |
|May - Aug. 2015
||Mar. 16 - May 6
||May 20 & Jun. 17|
Other opportunities to support SSM Cardinal Glennon
If you're a former patient or patient family member and feel that volunteering within the hospital is not right for you at this time, consider working with the Glennon Ambassadors. The Glennon Ambassadors are grateful families giving back to SSM Cardinal Glennon through physician and employee recognition, family supprt and overall awareness of the exceptional care at SSM Cardinal Glennon.
<< Frequently asked questions
<< Back to the Volunteer homepage