Named for John Cardinal Glennon, the Archbishop of St. Louis from 1903 to 1946, SSM Cardinal Glennon Children's Medical Center first opened its doors in July 1956. It was the Archbishop's mission to see a health care facility open to all children in need of medical care. The hospital first was named Cardinal Glennon Memorial Hospital for Children. Those who have come to know it well simply refer to it as "Glennon." They speak of the hospital as if they are talking about an old friend, and there's a warm feeling about the sound of that one word - "Glennon."
The sun displayed prominently atop the SSM Cardinal Glennon Children's Medical Center name has been the hospital's symbol for many years. It means hope ... and warmth ... and caring ... and commitment ... and excellence. The child-like writing of the hospital's name symbolizes the entire reason for the hospital's existence: We are here for the children, now and in the future.
Throughout its existence, SSM Cardinal Glennon Children's Medical Center has lived out the mission and vision of its namesake. We are committed to providing the best medical care, the best education and the best research possible for all children in need.
At SSM Cardinal Glennon Children’s Medical Center…